The community is located in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Some of the patients including a community leader, Stephen Jugu, were treated for food poisoning over the weekend.
It was gathered that the grains were bought from a petty trader in the community’s market last Tuesday.
Speaking with our reporter on Monday, Mr Jugu, who is also the Secretary of the COCIN Local Church Council, confirmed that himself and not less than 20 others were affected by the drink.
“I woke up in the middle of the night and discovered that it was diarrhoea that was disturbing me. I discovered that it was because of the Kunu I took. Later on, I learnt that it was the same thing with other people. They were more than twenty people but they have been discharged.”
The community leader, who confirmed that all the affected persons have been discharged, said the issue was reported to the chairperson of the development association
“They went and bought millet and corn from a local store. Then, when one of the ladies prepared the local drink, friends and families who drank out of the Kunu had a running stomach. Some of them fainted, passed out blood. They were admitted at the local hospital and treated,” Tim Danchal, the Chairman, Jol Community Development Association, told our reporter.
Mr Danchal added that the case has been reported to the local government authorities for investigation and contact-tracing.