Mai Atafo is a Nigerian bespoke fashion tailor. He caught the attention of the fashion industry for the creation of his brand, Mai Atafo and by enrolling the Leeds-based Savile Row Academy to further train as a tailor.
Mai Atafo was born in Ile-Ife, Osun State. He spent his early life in Lagos, attended the University Staff School Benin then the Federal Government College, Ido-Ani, Ondo State, Mai Atafo later earned a master’s degree from the City University UK in Information System and Technology.
Early Career (2002-2006)
Mai Atafo, upon returning from the United Kingdom in 2002 worked in various positions in the marketing department at British American Tobacco Nigeria, In 2006 he left to Guinness Nigeria where he sat as Brand Manager as of his resignation in 2010.
Mai Atafo Inspired (2007-present)
Before leaving Guinness Nigeria, Mai Atafo started a bespoke clothing label; Mai Atafo Inspired, that gained media acclamation by a pioneering clientele of mostly celebrities like Omowunmi Akinnifesi, Banky W, IK Osakioduwa and a host of others. He sat briefly as Fashion Editor for Genevieve Magazine.
Weddings By Mai
In 2011, Mai Atafo through his parent brand, Mai Atafo Inspired, launched a wedding line called Weddings by Mai.
Career in Media
Sitting as current Creative Director of Mai Atafo Inspired, Mai Atafo continues in the trail of his early career as a Strategy Director for an Advertising Agency; Firehouse Group as well as Event Compere, Emceeing the return of the Miss Nigeria Pageant in 2010 after a seven years break with Co-host, One time Miss World, Agbani Darego. Mai Atafo is a community mentor, he heads the Future Awards Central working committee.
Awards and nominations
Atafo has been recognized around Africa for his contributions to fashion design and style.
- 2009 City People Fashion and Style, Hottest New Male Designer
- 2010 City People Fashion and Style, Special Recognition.
- 2010 Mode Men Fashion Designer of the Year
- 2010 Mode Men, Best Dressed Man of the Year
- 2010 FAB Magazine, Fashion Brand of the Year
- 2010 Covenant University “Redefining Fashion Contribution”
- 2011 Allure, Most Stylish Man of the Year
- 2011 Thisday Style, Best Dressed Man
- 2013 GLITZ, Designer of the year
- 2015 Heineken Lagos Fashion and Design Week, Menswear Designer of the Year