This Banana Bread is so decadent that once you start you can’t stop!
Classic Nigerian Wedding Cake Ingredients
The quantities of ingredients listed below are what I used for medium loaf of banana bread.
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 125g (1 stick) butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tin Peak Filled Evaporated Milk
- ¼ cup roasted groundnuts and cashew nuts.
Tools You’ll Need to Bake the Classic Nigerian Wedding Cake
The following are the minimal tools you’ll need to bake a Nigerian Cake:
- An oven with a top and down heating capability is best
- Measuring cups or kitchen scale
- Sieve or Sifter
- Egg Whisk.
- Bread pan
Notes on the Banana Bread Ingredients
- Use very ripe but firm bananas.
- Peak Milk works well with this recipe because it is uper creamy.
- The eggs should be at room temperature. Which means that before you make the banana bread, bring the eggs out of the fridge long before you will make the cake. If it is winter where you live, bring them out the night before.
- Peak Filled Evaporated milk had a unique rich creamy flavour that works well with the vanilla and butterscotch flavours.
Directions for making the Banana Bread
- Pour the Peak Milk in a cup and warm it up a little bit, about 30 seconds in the microwave oven.
- Add the yeast to the milk, stir and set the mixture aside.
- In a dry bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Crush the groundnuts and cashew nuts with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter.
- Mash the banana either with a fork or a potato masher till as smooth as possible.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the mashed bananas, the butter and the milk and yeast mixture. Stir.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir till everything is well combined.
- Add some of the crushed groundnuts and cashew nuts.
- Pour into a bread pan and sprinkle the remaining groundnuts and cashew nuts on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 deg Celsius (350F) for 1 hour.
- The banana bread is done when a wooden skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean. The bread also springs back when you press it down.
- Place it on a rack for about 5 minutes then bring it out of the pan.
- Then lay on the rack till it has cooled down to a comfortable temperature
- Then slice and enjoy!
Enjoy it with a chocolate drink or any chilled soft drink.