We have heard of chicken and fish pies, but I’m sure we haven’t heard of plantain chicken pies. They are the yummiest snacks you would make this week.
- 1 large Plantain
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup of butter (75 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage and carrot mix
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1/4 bulb of onion
- Seasoning cube
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 egg for coating
- Peel your plantain and chop into small pieces.
- In a blender, blend your plantain with your milk, butter and egg.
- Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour in your plantain mix into the dry ingredients bowl a little at a time and work the mix into the dry ingredients bowl till all is thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to a floured board and knead till the dough is not sticky. (Sprinkle more flour onto the dough as necessary)
- In a pan, heat up your oil and fry your onion for a minute.
- Stir in your chopped chicken breast, seasoning and reduce the heat to allow the chicken cook.
- Once the chicken is cooked, stir in the cabbage, carrots and pepper allow to cook till the sauce is dry and take off the heat.
- Roll out your dough and cut into little squares or circles.
- Scoop some of the chicken mix onto the cut out pieces.
- Fold over and with a fork, press on the edges to seal it.
- Using the egg white, coat the top of the pies with the egg white.
- Heat your oven to 350F and place your pies in a greased pan in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 20-25 minutes checking to see if the pies are brown and take out to cool.
- Serve your plantain chicken pies warm.