Boiled White Coconut Rice is a special recipe because it tastes great on its own even without the need of sauce or stew.
But you can serve it with the following stews and sauces: Coconut Curry Sauce, Mixed Vegetables Curry Sauce or Nigerian Beef and Chicken Stew.
- 2 cups (400g) long grain parboiled white rice
- 1 coconut
- ½ cup shrimps
- ¼ cup green peas
- Salt (to your taste)
Notes about the ingredients
- You can use any type of rice alongside a mature, sweet coconut.
- You can add more shrimps and green peas if you wish.
- You can use tinned coconut milk to prepare this rice or a rich taste Homemade Coconut Milk.
- Use the coconut to make some fresh Coconut Milk.
- Set some water in a pot to boil. We will use it to precook the rice.
- When it boils, add the rice and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Pour it out in a sieve to drain then quickly cool it down with water.
- Pour the coconut milk in a clean pot and set it on the stove to boil.
- When it boils, add the precooked rice stir and make sure the coconut milk is at the same level as the rice. If not top it up with water. See the video below.
- Add salt and the shrimps.
- Cover the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- When the liquid is almost dry, add the green peas and continue cooking.
- When all the liquid dries up, the rice should be down. That is if you precooked the rice correctly.