No fewer than 18 Boko Haram terrorists have been killed by the troops of the Nigerian Army when the insurgents invaded Kumuya village in the Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.
It was learnt that some Boko Haram members had attacked the village to cart away food, but a gun battle subsequently ensued between them and the troops, leading to the death of 18 casualties.
A top source at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, who confirmed the incident, said a community leader alerted the army when the terrorists swooped on the community.
It could however not be ascertained whether any soldier was injured or killed during the clash, which occurred on Friday.
The source said, “There was a call from the community that the terrorists were around the area to unleash mayhem, including ransacking people’s houses for food. The information was so accurate because when the troops got to the location, the Boko Haram members were taken out. Eighteen of them were killed.
The Director, Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, also confirmed the casualties.
He maintained that the Boko Haram sect had been dislodged, but a fraction of it was still desperate to remain relevant.
He said, “The killing of the Boko Haram insurgents in Kumuya is true. We want people to always give the military timely and accurate information so that we can continue to maintain peace and security.
“All efforts are now geared towards reconstruction, resettlement and rehabilitation of the communities displaced by the sect.”